Compatibility with Confluence 4.2
Confluence's default theme is great for wiki-like information structures (networks). For more hierarchically structured content (as found in intranets) using menu based navigation makes content much more accessible. This is where the Intranet Theme comes in.
The Intranet Theme shows the top level pages (Home's child pages) of the current space as navigation menu on each page. In a dropdown, all child pages (2nd level navigation) are shown to allow for a user friendly navigation.
Additionally, the theme provides a header/topbar and a sidebar that displays static content throughout all spaces. Content defined in normal wiki pages is included and displayed. The topbar is typically used for links to spaces your users often access. In our intranet, we link to most important spaces and other online tools from this area. The right bar can be used to show searches, a phone book or whatever useful plugins you have available in Confluence.
Additionally, small improvements have been made to the UI to optimize usability for intranet type usage:
- Attachments are always displayed at the bottom of every page
- Page children are always displayed in the right sidebar
- Labels are always displayed in the right sidebar
All features can be configured in the plugins settings page.
The Intranet Theme Plugin allows for the Archiving Plugin. Pagebackground for archived content is dyed red to warn the user about obsolete content.
Installing the plugin
To install the plugin, follow these steps:
1. Install the plugin using the Plugin Repository in Confluence Admin panel
2. In Confluence Admin, browse to Themes and choose Intranet Theme. Next, click on Configure theme to define custom headers und right bar.
If you want to have a space dependant display, repeat above step in Space Admin.
3. Set the Colour Scheme in (Space) Settings to Intranet Theme Colour Scheme.
Only children of the space's "Home" page are displayed as drop down menu. If there are no children to this page, no menu is diplayed.
Please refer to the theme's wiki page for additional information
- Version 2.4 • Released 2012-04-16 • No Vendor Support • Free • Apache License, Version 2.0 (ASL)
- Version 2.3 • Released 2012-04-01 • No Vendor Support • Free • Apache License, Version 2.0 (ASL)
Great news: the plugin is now available for Confluence 4!
I don't want to waste your time with technical details, but here are 2 important pieces of information that you need to understand:
1. The label editor (a popup) in Confluence 4 is very different from the previous versions.
For our plugin it means that instead of:
...this code needs to be used if someone wants to add the label editor to the sidebar or whereever (note the 1st line added):
If someone activates the Theme on a space the first time, it will work perfectly.
For spaces already using the Theme and using the label editor in the sidebar, that extra line must be added, otherwise label editor will be disfunctional.
2. The way how the top menubar handles clicks and hover events has also changed.
Now, the user is required to *make an explicit click to open the dropdown menu*. A plain hover will not do anything.
What does it mean for the Intranet Theme? If there is a top-level page with children, it will displayed in the menu bar (no change). But if you click to the name of the top-level page in the menubar, it will open the popup, instead of jumping to that top-level page. In other words, top-level pages cannot be accessed with a single click in the menu bar any more.
BUT! After several attempts (all lead to inconsistent and sometimes buggy UI) I found this the best workaround: the plugin adds an explicit link to the top-level page in the first position of the popup and then a bar separates all the other child items. It may feel a little redundant, but in fact this solves all problems nicely, and the UX is 100% consistent.
See the attached shot and you will understand.
This version is named as "beta", as I'd like you to give feedback. Only after that, I will make a final release.
With this, I'd encourage you to upgrade to Confluence 4, and start using the new versions of the plugins. Then I'd be interested to hear your feedback.
- Version 2.2 • Released 2011-03-31 • No Vendor Support • Free • Apache License, Version 2.0 (ASL)
Add configuration option to disable sidebar
- Version 2.1 • Released 2011-02-23 • No Vendor Support • Free • Apache License, Version 2.0 (ASL)
- Compatibility with confluence 3.4
- Enhancement to indicate archived spaces (See Archiving Plugin)
- Version 2.0 • Released 2010-05-09 • No Vendor Support • Free • Apache License, Version 2.0 (ASL)
Intranet Theme Plugin has been completely rewritten for version 2.0 to offer great new functionality:
- Content of right bar, footer and page and theme header are completely customizable (no hardcoded functionality)
- Right bar is collabsible
The theme is based on Atlassian's Left Navigation Theme and requires Confluence 3.2 und IE7+ / Firefox 3+
Please Note: Due to the complete rewrite, the previous version has to be manually removed and the new version added using the plugin repository. Unfortunately, a direct upgrade is not possible.
- Version 1.9.2 • Released 2009-10-17 • No Vendor Support • Free • Apache License, Version 2.0 (ASL)
Pages for TopBar and RightSidebar are not hardcoded but can be configured globally or on a per space basis.
- Version 1.9.1 • Released 2009-10-09 • No Vendor Support • Free • Apache License, Version 2.0 (ASL)No release notes.